American academy of pediatrics stelt compromis cliterodectomie voor

Moderator: Astro

Reageer

American academy of pediatrics stelt compromis cliterodectomie voor

Uw dosis "What. The. ****?" voor vandaag wordt u aangeboden door de American Academy of Pediatrics. In een recent vrijgegeven policy statement (pdf) stellen ze een compromis voor rond female genital cutting (FGC, in het Nederlands bekend als "vrouwenbesnijdenis", cliterodectomie of vrouwelijke genitale verminking).

Samengevat komt het erop neer dat ze vinden dat "een klein beetje" FGC niet illegaal zou moeten zijn. U leest het goed:

Most forms of FGC [Female Genital Cutting] are decidedly harmful, and pediatricians should decline to perform them, even in the absence of any legal constraints. However the ritual nick suggested by some pediatricians is not physically harmful...

(mijn cursivering)
"Not physically harmful". Juist ja. De "ritual nick" waarvan sprake is

... pricking or incising the clitoral skin (...) This is no more of an alteration than ear piercing.
Met dat verschil natuurlijk, dat je snijdt in de clitoris. Nu kan ik het me moeilijk voorstellen, maar dat kan gewoon niet "minder erg dan een oorpiercing" zijn (die ik me overigens wél kan voorstellen).

In een persmededeling van Equality Now staat:

FGM is a form of gender-based violence and discrimination that is performed on girls to control their sexuality in womanhood, guarantee their acceptance into a particular community, and safeguard their virginity until marriage. Taina Bien-Aime, Equality Now's Executive Director explains, "Encouraging pediatricians to perform FGM under the notion of 'cultural sensitivity' shows a shocking lack of understanding of a girl's fundamental right to bodily integrity and equality. The AAP should promote awareness-raising within FGM-practicing immigrant communities about the harms of the practice, instead of endorsing an internationally recognized human rights violation against girls and women."

(...)

Taina Bien-Aime adds, "Throughout the ages 'cultural' practices like foot binding in China have caused lifelong physical and psychological harm to women and girls. If foot binding were still being carried out, would the AAP encourage pediatricians to execute a milder version of this practice?"

The AAP's proposition that pediatricians could offer to "nick" girls' genitalia is problematic and troubling. Advocates fear that mothers who have until now resisted community pressure and not subjected their daughters to FGM in the U.S., in part because of the anti-FGM law, could be forced under the AAP guidelines to ask pediatricians to "nick" their daughters' clitorises if it is legally permitted. The AAP must revoke its statement, which comes at a time when several African and European countries have noted the increasing dangers of medicalization of FGM and specifically banned medical personnel from performing any form of FGM.
Dit is een schoolvoorbeeld van een argumentum ad temperantiam. En in strijd met de Eed van Hippocrates:

Ik zal naar mijn beste oordeel en vermogen en om bestwil mijner zieken hun een leefregel voorschrijven en nooit iemand kwaad doen.
En nog tien andere soorten FAIL.

In Nederland zet het kenniscentrum Pharos, in opdracht van het Ministerie van Volksgezondheid, zich in tegen FGC. Lees meer op http://www.pharos.nl/programma/preventievgv

Re: American academy of pediatrics stelt compromis cliterodectomie voor

Ik dacht dat die groepering de belangen van het kind verdedigde? Of heeft men schrik om verweten te worden als intolerant of racist of... als men zich verzet tegen FGC? Als dat zo is, dan ben ik erg benieuwd wat vrouwenrechtenorganisaties (of organisaties van kinderrechten), bestaande uit vrouwen die zelf afkomstig zijn van de landen waar FGC wordt toegepast, daarover vinden... Wedden dat zijzelf een veel gezondere kijk op FGC hebben dan het stelletje wereldvreemde slappelingen (*oepsss*) van de 'American Academy of Pediatrics'... ](*,)

Dido
Ik ben niet jong genoeg om alles te weten...
-Oscar Wilde-

UPDATE: AAP heeft verstand teruggevonden:

Pediatricians now reject all female genital cutting

The American Academy of Pediatrics has rescinded a controversial policy statement raising the idea that doctors in some communities should be able to substitute demands for female genital cutting with a harmless clitoral "pricking" procedure.

"We retracted the policy because it is important that the world health community understands the AAP is totally opposed to all forms of female genital cutting, both here in the U.S. and anywhere else in the world," said AAP President Judith S. Palfrey.
CNN heeft meer

En deze pik ik ook nog even op... Omdat een getuigenis zoveel meer zegt dan de droge feiten:
Female circumcision will be inflicted on up to 2,000 British schoolgirls during the summer holidays – leaving brutal physical and emotional scars. Yet there have been no prosecutions against the practice.

Like any 12-year-old, Jamelia was excited at the prospect of a plane journey and a long summer holiday in the sun. An avid reader, she had filled her suitcases with books and was reading Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban when her mother came for her. "She said, 'You know it's going to be today?' I didn't know exactly what it would entail but I knew something was going to be cut. I was made to believe it was genuinely part of our religion."

She went on: "I came to the living room and there were loads of women. I later found out it was to hold me down, they bring lots of women to hold the girl down. I thought I was going to be brave so I didn't really need that. I just lay down and I remember looking at the ceiling and staring at the fan.

"I don't remember screaming, I remember the ridiculous amount of pain, I remember the blood everywhere, one of the maids, I actually saw her pick up the bit of flesh that they cut away 'cause she was mopping up the blood. There was blood everywhere."

Jamelia, now 20, who says her whole personality changed afterwards."I felt a lot older. It was odd because nobody says this is a secret, keep your mouth shut but that's the message you get loud and clear." She stopped the sports and swimming she used to love and became "strangely disconnected with her own body". Other girls have died, of shock or blood loss; some have picked up infections from dirty tools. Jamelia's mother paid extra for the woman to use a clean razor. It is thought that in the UK there are one or two doctors who can be bribed by the very rich to to carry out FGM using anaesthetic and sterilised instruments.

uit: British girls undergo horror of genital mutilation despite tough laws (The Guardian, 25 juli 2010)

Dido
Ik ben niet jong genoeg om alles te weten...
-Oscar Wilde-

Reageer