Super-Earth has an atmosphere, but is it steamy or gassy?
In December 2009, astronomers announced the discovery of a super-Earth known as GJ 1214b. At the time, they reported signs that the newfound world likely had a thick, gaseous atmosphere. Now, a team led by Jacob Bean (Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics) has made the first measurements of GJ 1214b's atmosphere. However, the measurements raise as many questions about the planet's atmospheric composition as they answer.
"This is the first super-Earth known to have an atmosphere," said Bean. "But even with these new measurements we can't say yet what that atmosphere is made of. This world is being very shy and veiling its true nature from us."
A super-Earth is a planet up to three times the size of Earth and weighing one to ten times as much. (GJ 1214b is 2.7 times the size of Earth and 6.5 times as massive.) They are likely to be mostly solid (some combination of rock or ices), unlike the hundreds of Jupiter-sized gas giants found to date around distant stars.
Lees verder: http://www.physorg.c...eamy-gassy.html
Super-earth has an atmosphere, but is it steamy or gassy?
0 gebruiker(s) lezen dit onderwerp
0 leden, 0 bezoekers, 0 anonieme gebruikers
Ook adverteren op onze website? Lees hier meer!
- Hier ook uw vacature? 06-14
- Lucht bij een snelheid die de... 17:46 9
- Een fluorescerende stof maken 15:26 2
- Kansberekening aantal speelsl... 15:24
- Molverhoudingen van DNA 12:59 2
- dehydroazijnzuur benzylalcohol 12:08
- i.v.m Complexe getallen 20-10 3
- Hoe haal je cellen uit een pl... 20-10 7
- Roesten aluminium, staal en/o... 20-10 1
- Creditnota 20-10
- Homogeniseren en lyseren 20-10 1