Man flies electric multicopter, thanks to sensor technology

Moderator: Astro

Reageer

Man flies electric multicopter, thanks to sensor technology

Man Flies Electric Multicopter, Thanks to Sensor Technology

Perhaps you've seen the Parot AR.Drone quadricopter. It's a toy helicopter with four rotors that can be controlled remotely via an iPhone, iPod or iPad. It uses micro-electro-mechanical systems, video processing technologies and an ultrasound altimeter to zoom around livingrooms and backyards. It makes me wish we had that kind of toy technology when I was a kid.

Afbeelding

The e-volvo multicopter makes its first manned test flight.

But, as the saying goes, the only difference between men and boys is the cost (and the size) of their toys. So it was with great anticipation that I read about a manned multicopter flight from the German company e-volo. Its multicopter has 16 rotors, four on each of the four jibs that jut out from a central hub where the test pilot, Thomas Senkel, sat during it's first flight, which lasted 90 seconds. Let's assume future prototypes will have some protective shrouds around those spinning blades as shown in the company's impressive design studies, which were created by product designer Philipp Halisch.

Lees verder (met video): http://www.engineeringontheedge.com/2011/1...sor-technology/

Bron: Engineering on the edge

Reageer