Physics World reveals its top 10 breakthroughs for 2011
The two physics stories that dominated the news in 2011 were questions rather than solid scientific results, namely "Do neutrinos travel faster than light?" and "Has the Higgs boson been found?". However, there have also been some fantastic bona fide research discoveries over the last 12 months, which made it difficult to decide on the Physics World 2011 Breakthrough of the Year.
But after much debate among the Physics World editorial team, this year's honour goes to Aephraim Steinberg and colleagues from the University of Toronto in Canada for their experimental work on the fundamentals of quantum mechanics. Using an emerging technique called "weak measurement", the team is the first to track the average paths of single photons passing through a Young's double-slit experiment – something that Steinberg says physicists had been "brainwashed" into thinking is impossible.
Lees verder: http://physicsworld....icle/news/48126
Physics world reveals its top 10 breakthroughs for 2011
0 gebruiker(s) lezen dit onderwerp
0 leden, 0 bezoekers, 0 anonieme gebruikers
Ook adverteren op onze website? Lees hier meer!
- Hier ook uw vacature? 06-14
- Hoe werkt Hawking-straling? 19-02 1
- identificatie van fungi 19-02 5
- Energie schommel met stang en... 19-02 2
- n:n 19-02 3
- Bundeling van licht en daarna... 19-02 4
- Waarom is de spectraallijn va... 19-02 3
- Het berekenen van zwaartekracht. 19-02 1
- titratie met wilgenbast 19-02 14
- Verkiezingen 2017 analyses, s... 19-02 1
- Cookies blokkeren? 19-02 6