The truth about autism

Moderator: Astro

Reageer

The truth about autism

Er is meer discussie over de verschillen in IQ, en verschillen in de hersenen, van mensen met autisme en anderen. De hernieuwde aandacht van de media is er gekomen dankzij Amanda Baggs: zij heeft autisme en communiceert met de computer. Verscheidene wetenschappers zijn het erover eens dat zij op een andere, maar niet op een slechtere manier functioneert.

Artikel in Wired:
A cornerstone of this new approach — call it the difference model — is that past research about autistic intelligence is flawed, perhaps catastrophically so, because the instruments used to measure intelligence are bogus. "If Amanda Baggs had walked into my clinic five years ago," says Massachusetts General Hospital neuroscientist Thomas Zeffiro, one of the leading proponents of the difference model, "I would have said she was a low-functioning autistic with significant cognitive impairment. And I would have been totally wrong."

Reportage van CNN:
The Internet has allowed Amanda to communicate to the whole world. While standard body language and facial expressions are lost on many with autism, she says many non-verbal people with autism have the ability to communicate with one another through autistic body cues.

Het YouTube-filmpje van Amanda Baggs:
The first part is in my "native language," and then the second part provides a translation, or at least an explanation. This is not a look-at-the-autie gawking freakshow as much as it is a statement about what gets considered thought, intelligence, personhood, language, and communication, and what does not.

Amanda Baggs' website...

Reageer