World's first view of type 1 diabetes as it unfolds

Moderator: Astro

Reageer

World's first view of type 1 diabetes as it unfolds

World's First View of Type 1 Diabetes as It Unfolds

Researchers at the La Jolla Institute for Allergy & Immunology have created the first cellular movies showing the destruction underlying type 1 diabetes in real-time in mouse models. This detailed, dynamic view will provide the worldwide scientific community insights into this disease process as never before possible and may profoundly affect future directions in type 1 diabetes research.

"This live imaging of the white blood cells that cause diabetes is quite remarkable," said George Eisenbarth, M.D., Ph.D., a prominent type 1 diabetes researcher and executive director of the Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes in Colorado. "These images provide critical information about the disease process, in particular showing us the reasons why the beta cell destruction (underlying type 1 diabetes) occurs very slowly over time. Such information may enable new approaches to stop the destruction process, with the ultimate goal being prevention."

The studies are illuminating cell processes that previously had to be extrapolated from photos, computer modeling or lab experiments. Bart Roep, M.D., Ph.D., a diabetes expert and professor at Leiden University Medical Center in the Netherlands, called the work a technological breakthrough. "I thought this was unfeasible (in vivo imaging of type 1 diabetes). But thankfully, they proved me wrong," he said. "These videos show the cellular interactions in incredible detail, things are moving. The information they have found thus far is amazing and this is just the beginning of the knowledge that can be gained through this technology."

Lees het volledige artikel (Engels)

Artikel gebaseerd op informatie afkomstig van Liai
A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success.

I hear, I know. I see, I remember. I do, I understand -Confucius-

Reageer