NASA's Voyager Hits New Region at Solar System Edge
In this artist's concept, NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft has entered a new region between our solar system and interstellar space, which scientists are calling the stagnation region. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech › Full image and caption
PASADENA, Calif. -- NASA's Voyager 1 spacecraft has entered a new region between our solar system and interstellar space. Data obtained from Voyager over the last year reveal this new region to be a kind of cosmic purgatory. In it, the wind of charged particles streaming out from our sun has calmed, our solar system's magnetic field has piled up, and higher-energy particles from inside our solar system appear to be leaking out into interstellar space.
"Voyager tells us now that we're in a stagnation region in the outermost layer of the bubble around our solar system," said Ed Stone, Voyager project scientist at the California Institute of Technology in Pasadena. "Voyager is showing that what is outside is pushing back. We shouldn't have long to wait to find out what the space between stars is really like."
Lees verder: http://www.nasa.gov/...er20111205.html
Nasa's voyager hits new region at solar system edge
0 gebruiker(s) lezen dit onderwerp
0 leden, 0 bezoekers, 0 anonieme gebruikers
Ook adverteren op onze website? Lees hier meer!
- Hier ook uw vacature? 06-14
- Zwenkbeveiliging kraan. 13:19
- Oefening op buffers 13:08 1
- Elektrische geleiding van onb... 12:22 3
- dit weekeinde spoorbrug Utrecht 10:00
- elektrochemische cel 17-11 1
- Verschillende dynamische bela... 17-11 5
- Kosmische achtergrondstraling... 17-11 6
- lekkage aardgas 16-11 2
- Methode van Frobenius. 16-11 1
- DNA naar mRNA naar tRNA (poly... 16-11 5