[Folding] Folding@home nieuws

Moderator: Jan van de Velde

Reageer

Re: [Folding] Folding@home nieuws

Several people haven been pushing me to blog more, but it's hard for me to find the time, especially since I'm often sitting in meetings all day long with various Pande Group members, FAH members, Simbios exec committee, or other... (...)

Bekijk het gehele bericht
Our goal: to understand protein folding, misfolding, and related diseases.

One of the more common question I get asked is how we do our client/server/core programming and backend system administration. Also, others were curious about updates on various core projects. So, I thought it made sense to answer both in... (...)

Here's an interesting link on the history of supercomputers, with a nice bit about Folding@home: http://www.pcplus.co.uk/node/3073/ I particularly like the old pictures, such as this one! (...)

Maintenance is under way on these machines. Looks like a PDU went down during a equipment move today and the redundant power did not kick in right. Hopefully this will be something as simple as powering up the RAID again... (...)

We've got a big stats recredit going on now, mainly for a particular server (vsp07v), but it will also recredit a few missing odds and ends from other servers. The web site will be down during the recredit, but we... (...)

While it's not directly a major milestone for FAH, it's something very relevant for me: July 1 was my 10th year anniversary at Stanford. It's amazing that 10 years has gone by, in some ways quickly and in some ways... (...)

For those running the windows SMP client, I just wanted to remind donors that the previous client expires today and that an update has been available for a few days. Please see the "Drop-in binary for current Windows SMP console... (...)

We are preparing for the public release of a new work unit category: extra-large advanced methods work units. Some background information is provided below; we'll update this thread with more details as they emerge. Why a new work unit category?... (...)

The scientific code underlying our research has a lot of dials and switches. It can be very tempting to play with those switches to optimize the calculations. However, many of the code settings can impact scientific results in non-obvious ways.... (...)

There was a brief, unplanned network outage. There was an unintentional network outage caused by maintenance this morning from about 7:30 to 7:50 AM. Ironically, the work we were performing this morning is part of our redesign to prevent things... (...)

I just got news that our main power feed has been damaged by the SIM1 construction crew. We may be out of power for over 6 hours. The good news is that most of FAH is immune from this right... (...)

I wanted to continue the series of introducing FAH team members. Greg Bowman has been a key figure in FAH the last few years, especially in methods and software development and its applications to protein folding (eg see the list... (...)

The first stage of Storage@home is now launching. Storage@home is a sister project to Folding@home. The goal is to store data on volunteer machines that can then be used and processed in parallel. You can learn more about this from... (...)

Two key parts of FAH technology -- OpenMM (the software that powers FAH on GPUs) and MSMbuilder (the algorithms that FAH uses to stitch together hundreds of thousands of donor simulations to get coherent results) are highlighted in this months... (...)

We're monitoring the situation, but apparently Stanford's ISP is having some sort of issues. I'll update it here as the day goes on as we learn more. (...)

Reageer